ABOUT OUR COUNTY
Defiance County covers 412 square miles in the northwest corner of Ohio. The county includes 12 townships, three villages and the City of Defiance.
City of Defiance
The City of Defiance serves as the county seat and is home to approximately 17,000 residents, along with many of the county’s major employers. It was named a 2014-15 Best Hometown by Ohio Magazine and features a revitalized downtown, charming shops and two rivers. There are many excellent sites available for consideration, with convenient access to transportation.
Village of Hicksville
Hicksville, founded in 1836, is a community that continues to grow. The village is home to an industrial park and a beautiful downtown, with a variety of businesses supplying everything from auto parts and furniture to flowers and food. Hicksville also has several social and civic organizations, a village park and other amenities that appeal to businesses, residents and visitors.
Village of Sherwood
Sherwood is named for Congressman, Union Army officer and newspaper editor, General Isaac Sherwood. This quaint community has a population of approximately 850 people and features several small businesses and a park.
RECREATION & ATTRACTIONS
Defiance County is home to golf courses, wildlife areas, community festivals and numerous cultural activities. Some of the highlights include:
- Oxbow Lake
- Independence Dam State Park
- Camp Lakota
- Andrew L. Tuttle Memorial Museum
- Defiance County Historical Society’s AuGlaize Village
- Huber Opera House & Civic Center
- Stroede center for the Arts
Nearby Fort Wayne, Indiana, features professional baseball by the Fort Wayne TinCaps and hockey by the Fort Wayne Komets. Also just a short drive away, Toledo is home to the Mud Hens baseball franchise and the Walleye hockey team.
Within Defiance City
- Northtowne Mall, Dunhams Kohls, JC Pennys, Northtowne Mall Cinema, Menards, Lowes
- Miniature Golf – Fun for young and old.
- Auglaze Historical Village
- Independence Dam State Park
- Sweetwater Golf Course – 18-hole par 71 course, snack bar and bar.
- Bob Evans
- Panda Express
- Sweetwater Chop House
- Arbys, Burger King, Wendys, McDonalds
Within a 30 mile radius
- Leisure Time Winery Napoleon
- Lumberyard Winery Napoleon
- Father John’s Restaurant and Microbrewery-Bryan
- Spangler Candy Company Tours
- Harrison Lake State Park with camping fishing canoeing, hiking, swimming
- Two Bandits Brewing Company
- The Huber Opera House
Within a 50 mile radius
- Yogi Bears Jellystone Park – Featuring several Water Slides and Camping
- Byler Lane Winery
- Angola Motor Speedway – offering Stock Car racing on most Summer weekends
- Chapman’s Brewing Company
- Satek Winery – featuring local award-winning wines
- Pokagon State Park and Toboggan ride
- Toledo Ohio
- Auburn, IN – Auburn Cord Duesenberg Museum featuring an exhibit of more than 100 unique classical automobiles, plus a small theater presentation
- Auburn a World War II museum, just off of I-69 – don’t miss Kruse auction Labor Day weekend
- Mongo, IN – a town just west of Angola featuring Pigeon River Canoe Rental, Indiana State Fish and Wildlife area
- Shipshewana, IN – featuring the famous Shipshewana flea market and a quaint town with old time stores and shopping area
- Fort Wayne Children’s Zoo. Voted one of the top ten best children’s zoos in the United States.
- Toledo Zoo
- Ft Wayne Children’s Zoo
DECKED Defiance, Ohio
Introducing DECKED Defiance, Ohio. We outgrew the double-wide, then we outgrew the barn, so we went out and built a plant. We are proud to announce this next phase: an investment in our customers and our ability to grow and serve them better with better products and better service. Our new, state-of-the-art shipping, receiving, assembly, quality control and warranty facility (yeah, we put it all in one massive man-cave) is now open and doing business.
In addition to high-quality public and parochial schools, Defiance County is served by two colleges and a technical career center.
Defiance College is an independent, liberal arts college affiliated with the United Church of Christ. The campus includes eighteen buildings and access to the 200-acre Thoreau Wildlife Sanctuary. Defiance College features programs in the divisions of: arts and humanities; business, education and social work; and natural science, applied science and mathematics.
Northwest State Community College
NSCC is located in Archbold, Ohio, and serves the six-county area. The community college offers a numerous 2-year degree and short-term certificate programs for transfer to a 4-year college or university, career changes and career advancement.
Four County Career Center
As its name implies, FCCC serves Defiance County and the three surrounding counties. It offers technical and career training for high school students, as well as a variety of training programs for adults.
Learn more about how these institutions support workforce development initiatives in Defiance County.